Camp Shenandoah offers both Boy Scout and Cub Scout Camping. Use the menu bar to left to learn more about Camp.
Camp Shenandoah, BSA
222 Boy Scout Lane
Swoope, VA 24479
Map of the Camp
History of Camp Shenandoah
In 1927, the Stonewall Jackson Area Council held its first summer camp near Natural Bridge, using the Roanoke Council’s Camp Powhatan. The next year Mr. J. W. Fix laid out the second summer camp called Camp Stonewall at Blue Hole near Deerfield. The following year Mr. Fix laid out another camp along Buffalo Creek near Lexington. In 1930 the camp was moved to Island Ford on the Shenandoah River near McGaheysville. The Island Ford camp was named Camp Shenandoah and used for 20 years under the leadership of J. W. Fix.
Land was purchased in 1949 for a permanent council scout camp near Swoope. S. Dexter Forbes headed the fund raising drive for the purchase of the new camp. The new camp was also called Camp Shenandoah and has been used for Scout camping since the summer of 1950. Camp Shenandoah is owned and operated by the Stonewall Jackson Area Council and is open to camping on a year-round basis. In 1999, approximately 150 acres were purchased adjacent to the main camp. This land will feature in the future a multipurpose year round building and Cub Scout camping facilities. Camp Shenandoah’s acreage now totals 454 acres.